Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bravo to Chris Peterson


I am very much in the shadow of Chris's blog and for good reason. We've had our debates and disagreements, but there is no doubt that he has shown a consistent dedication to the maintenance of a local forum that I am not likely to match.

My applause is for his recent post defending our local teachers. As a mother and a parent, I have had reason to meet and interact with many of our town's teachers. They are as professional and compassionate a group of people as I have ever met. I personally have never received the impression that any of our teachers care about anything less than the very best possibilities and potentials of our collective children.

Therefore, I thank and applaud Chris because I know that such a position may cause him grief in this political climate and from his side of the political aisle.

Bravo.

1 comment:

North Haven Way said...

Thank you for the shout out NH Parent.

To explain my unending support of teachers comes from my mother who is a teacher. She has taught in both public and private school systems for almost 40 years and is actually retiring at the end of this year. So I have not only seen firsthand the struggles that teachers face in year to year budgets but also the impact of their successes in the classroom.

When a budget fails at referendum, the first action that many cal for is the letting go of teachers. I cannot stress enough that in North Haven, this would be the wrong place to start looking at for cuts. There are plenty of other aspects in the BOE to cut, outsource or re-negotiate. I urge to the BOE to look in other directions than slashing teachers.